Thursday 1 December 2011

Day 5 - Favourite Mystery

30 Days of the Baby-Sitters Club
Day 5 - Favourite Mystery

I didn't read many of the mysteries as a child, but the one that I do remember the most fondly (and the only one I ever owned rather than borrowed from the library) was actually non-mystery, as such. 

Yes, I am talking about Jessi and the Jewel Thieves. And yes, the British mystery covers were even worse than the covers for the regular series, although at least Jessi looks a) like a real eleven-year-old and b) African-American rather than just being tanned. 

I know that some people hate the mysteries that didn't actually feature a real mystery, instead focusing on the BSC members worrying over something that they'd misheard or misinterpreted, but I preferred the more realistic non-mysteries. The way that Jessi and Quint rush around NYC convinced that they need to stop a jewellery heist is quite amusing, and it was nice to see kids acting like, well, kids for once.





Did you ever read the Mystery spin-off series? If so, which was your favourite book? Did you prefer the "non-mysteries" or not?

No comments:

Post a Comment