Wednesday 29 December 2010

Top Ten Books of 2010

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's topic is Top Ten Books of 2010. I found this surprisingly easy to choose this year, but maybe that's because I've become more strict with my ratings? While there are lots of books I loved this year, these are the ten I truly adored. (In the order that I read them).

1. A Gift of Grace by Amy Clipston I've really got into the Amish genre this year, and Clipston is definitely one of the best authors in this steadily growing market. This, the first in the Kauffman Amish Bakery series, is the story of two teenage girls who go to live with their Amish aunt after their parents are killed in an accident. It's a heart-warming tale with characters who are very easy to relate to, not to forgot a lovely community-feel, fantastic setting and a bakery that'll make you very hungry! If you're an Amish fan and haven't yet read anything by this author then you're definitely missing out.

2. Dreaming of Amelia by Jaclyn Moriarty I've been a huge fan of this author since I read her debut novel, Feeling Sorry for Celia, when I was thirteen. All of her novels are written in an epistolary style and I think she's one of the few writers who can really pull it off. If you like quirky, teen novels then definitely check this out!

3. The Summer Before by Ann M. Martin While my biggest book obsession is anything to do with the Amish, I'm also a huge Babysitters Club fanatic. I was so excited to discover that a prequel was being released and pre-ordered as soon as I could. And I was not disappointed. If you were ever a BSC fan, you need to get this book. But I also think it can be read by kids who never grew up with the BSC - it's an excellent introduction, and if they love it then you can always buy them the re-releases!

4. The Betrayal by Beverly Lewis This is #2 in the Abram's Daughters series, and while I found something a bit off about #1 in this Amish saga, I loved this one. The series follows four sisters in from the 1950s onwards, and while they're all wonderful characters, you may need tissues handy when you read these books! 

5. A Promise of Hope by Amy Clipston Spot a pattern?! Sometimes the second book in a series doesn't live up to the first but this one certainly did. This followed on from the events of the first book and told the story of Rebecca Kauffman's sister. I'm starting to really enjoy reading a series that follows several members of the same family.

6. Island of Lost Girls by Jennifer McMahon A bit different from my usual books, but while I'm really getting into the romance genre right now I still like a mystery/thriller now and then. This was almost impossible to put down and had wonderful twists - so if you're fed up with all the soppy books on this list, go check this one out!

7. The Sacrifice by Beverly Lewis #3 in the Abram's Daughters saga, very addictive books! I just got #4 for my Christmas and can't wait to continue to read about the Ebersol girls. Although there seems to be a lot of sadness and tragedy, I've really come to care about these characters.

8. A Simple Amish Christmas by Vannetta Chapman I got an early review copy of this from Abingdon Press and can't wait for the next book from this debut author. This sweet romance is perfect for the Christmas season - add it to your list for next winter!

9. A Time to Love by Barbara Cameron Another early review copy from Abingdon, this is the story of a journalist who is injured in a war zone and goes to recuperate on her grandmother's Amish farm. She reconnects with an old friend, who is now a widower with children, and finds herself falling in love with the simpler way of life. Different from the other Amish books I've read but absolutely wonderful!

10. Sarah's Christmas Miracle by Mary Ellis I read this one just before Christmas and it's such a sweet little novella. For once, this Amish story wasn't focused on romance, but on Sarah trying to bring her older brother home to spend Christmas with their family. Short but very endearing.

What were your favourite books of 2010? Do you agree with any of my choices, or find any that you want to read?

(And yes, I know it's Wednesday but I didn't finish the post until now!)

No comments:

Post a Comment