Friday 27 August 2010

A Simple Amish Christmas - Vannetta Chapman

Annie Weaver always planned to return home, but the 20-year old RN has lived in Philadelphia for three years now. Her time of rumschpringe is about to come to an abrupt end, bringing for Annie an overwhelming sense of loneliness. She returns home and finds herself face-to-face with a budding romance with an Amish farmer and Annie has several important choices to make.

Vannetta Chapman's debut novel is far from "simple." Annie is an unconventional heroine, full of doubt and constantly striving to do the best she can for her family and her community. Samuel is insecure and and still hurting from a long ago accident that claimed his family. The protagonists of this Christmas tale have to learn that God's grace can wipe away their pasts and bring something new and wonderful into their lives - together.

A Simple Amish Christmas is full of quirky and lovable secondary characters (some of whom captured my heart in such a way that makes me wonder if Chapman plans to expand on their stories in another novel?) and has a wonderfully Christmassy and chilly setting which makes you want to wrap up under a blanket (or perhaps an Amish quilt!) with a cup of hot chocolate. Chapman has captured the essence of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania perfectly, not only in its landscape and culture but also the spirit of community that is present among the Amish. Annie's family and friends welcome her back with open and arms and encourage her to use her nursing skills to help those in need. This is a far cry from the likes of Beverly Lewis's novels where characters are shunned or flee their families because of past transgressions. Instead, I was reminded of Amy Clipston's Kauffman Amish Bakery series, where the focus is on dealing with day-to-day problems that anyone could face, inside or outside the Amish community - a pregnant teenager, a troublesome home-birth, a car accident, a misunderstanding between a new couple. I have a feeling that Chapman could be following in Clipston's footsteps to become the next bestseller in the Amish genre - and pride of place on my bookcase!

Although I found this a leisurely and unchallenging read, this debut novel is not the "Simple Amish Christmas" story it sells itself as. Annie and Samuel have to learn to trust God and each other and overcome their fears and doubts in order to reach happiness in this endearing romance peppered with challenges, subplots and snowstorms. Vannetta Chapman is an author to look out for, especially if you're a fan of the Amish genre or just a hopeless romantic like me. 10/10

I'm very grateful to have had the chance to review this book from NetGalley and Abingdon Press.

7 comments:

  1. Rach~ what a great review of this book! It is next on my list to read. Although I am truely enjoying the Hunger Games series, I am anxious to get back to reading my Amish fiction. I really miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds a great book to read at the beginning of December to get you in the mood for Christmas! Did you read it recently Rachel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet review, Rachel. I'm very glad you enjoyed A SIMPLE AMISH CHRISTMAS, and yes - I do have other plans for the character of Mifflin County. How did you guess? : ) Stay tuned . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review Rachel - you need to put this review on RiSi as I reckon there'll be some interested people over there! I'm off to add it to my wishlist.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments! I'll be looking out for your review too, Diane. And thanks for reminding me to post this to RiSi, Sarah :)

    Lynne - Yes, I read this last week. It's released sometime in October. I've recently joined NetGalley.com where reviewers and bloggers can get ebooks of books to review and publicise. A couple of Christian fiction publishers release their books through this website which is how I got hold of this one!

    Vannetta - Thanks for visiting my blog! It was a pleasure to read your debut novel and I'll definitely be looking out for further books about Mifflin County and your new mystery series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel thanks for popping by my blog, I am definitely going to read this book! If you get a chance to read Two Lethal Lies do it, it kept my attention until the very last page :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rachel,
    came across ur blog thru Sazzy's blog. I too am a member at RiSi, I am sure u can guess my username :)
    look forward to following ur great blog!

    carol

    ReplyDelete