Saturday 21 August 2010

Queen of Babble - Meg Cabot

Lizzie Nichols has a problem, and it isn’t that she’s blowing her college graduation money on a trip to visit her long-distance boyfriend Andy in London. 

She just can’t keep anything to herself, including her indignation at finding out her beloved boyfriend wasn’t completely faithful to her during their separation. She’s now out on the streets with no money and a non-changeable airline ticket home for exactly a month away.

Fortunately, Lizzie’s best friend, Shari, comes to the rescue. She’s spending the summer in the South of France catering weddings in a romantic sixteenth century chateau, and she’s able to sort Lizzie out with a job. One glimpse of the gorgeous Chateau Mirac, not to mention the equally gorgeous son of the owner, and Lizzie is hooked.

This was such a feel-good read. Meg Cabot's books are always hit or miss with me and after reading a few reviews I was worried that I wouldn't like this - but I did! Lizzie's nervous rambling annoyed me for a chapter or two but after that I found that I could really sympathise with her. Being a university student myself I understand the fear of having no idea what to do with my life, and also the horror of discovering that the guy you're debating spending the rest of your life with isn't who you thought he was - or in my case, discovering that my best guy friend has become a stoner who likes going to clubs that play left-wing anti-german rave music. So, yeah, although Lizzie babbled a lot, she was an appealing and realistic character. I'll admit that I didn't laugh out loud at this book I did really enjoy reading it. At the moment I'm studying a lot of 18th century literature for my university course and this was the perfect book to relax with - quick, light and funny. If you're a chick-lit fan - even a semi-secret one like me! - I'd definitely recommend this. Looking forward to reading the next two in the series! 8/10 

No comments:

Post a Comment